How To Triumph Over Mould After A Flood

How To Triumph Over Mould After A Flood

Areas damaged by flood water are susceptible to staining and damage. The trouble is not limited to that because the aftermath would be more serious, that is, the formation of fungi which includes moulds. Damp and moist surfaces are favourite breeding grounds for moulds. Moulds grow from spores which are usually inactive. Spore germination takes place when the relative humidity exceeds 70 percent and a temperature that goes beyond 65 degrees.

It is a common knowledge that moulds do not only damage walls and floors but they are also detrimental to human health. There are sufficient evidences that link moulds to respiratory and allergic conditions. Some produce mycotoxins that can produce serious illnesses to animals and humans.

Knowing for a fact that moulds harbour in previously flood-drenched areas, it is a common problem for homeowners to get a flooded area cleaned up and make it moisture-free. Mould busters may not be always available so it pays to have an idea on how to prevent the formation of moulds. It is vital that the following recommendations will be done so as not to give way to moulds after a flood.

Get yourself protected during the clean-up


Have your materials ready. Always use self-protection devices which include gloves, goggles, N95/N100 or HEPA respirator mask and rubber boots. These gears are said to protect you in the process of cleaning up a flooded area that is said to be prone to moulds.

Lower humidity and temperature in the home

If the flooded area is inside your home, open the windows to lower the humidity and the temperature. Have in mind that moulds cannot survive in areas where relative humidity is low. A warmer environment is not also favourable for moulds.

Work fast

After flood waters have receded, thorough clean-up is very necessary and you have to work fast. Delaying your action will be favourable for moulds because under the right conditions, they can grow and spread quicker than you think. Remove remaining water by using buckets and mops. You may also use a pump to get the water out as long as it is safe to use it. Get rid of mud and debris.

Take out what needs to be taken out

Porous wall panels and other building materials that got soaked need to be taken out. Slightly damaged wall panels can be removed and dried and may be reused as long as there is no mould growing on it.

Isolate mould-infected objects

It is not enough that you get rid of mould contaminated objects. Experts suggest that mould-laden objects should be isolated by sealing them in a plastic bag. This should be done immediately to prevent further damage. Items that can still be saved should be allowed to dry as soon as possible. An alternative is to freeze the item as freezing inactivates moulds.

Use HEPA vacuum for heavily contaminated items

For heavily contaminated items, do not use an ordinary household vacuum but a HEPA vacuum as this is more suitable for mould remedial. Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects with a stiff brush and a non-ammonia detergent.

Other miscellaneous tips

Maintain the cleanliness of the area. Wipe surfaces with a disinfectant solution which may be either commercially-prepared or use a do-it-yourself solution. A common DIY mixture is a mixture of ¼ to ½ cup of bleach to a gallon of water.

Increase air circulation in the room to allow drying. Use dehumidifiers, fans or heaters to dry your home. Do open windows to ventilate your home, if the air outside is not very humid. Use fans only after all moulds and spores are eliminated to prevent it from spreading to a greater extent.

If you think you cannot do it yourself, it is recommended that you hire professionals to do the job. A lot of cleaning companies have services that include a massive flood clean-up for savaged areas. It may be a bit costly but your money’s worth is guaranteed.

Recent Posts